The method by which individual accuracy scores are calculated is as follows:
- An average forecast amount is calculated by averaging the forecast range. For example, a forecast of 1-3″ has an average forecast amount of 2″.
- The actual snowfall amount is subtracted from the forecast amount to determine forecast error.
- The forecast error is subtracted from 10 to determine the accuracy score.
- Accuracy score cannot be lower than 9.0 if the actual snowfall was within the forecast range.
- An outlet forecasting 0″ is automatically assigned a minimum score of 5 when actual snowfall is 1″ or more.